Lack of inspiration? Struggling to articulate your thoughts clearly? Want to write but have no idea where to start?
Here are 10 tips to get you thinking and writing.
- Have a notebook with you wherever you go. Inspiration can strike anytime.
- Read a variety of texts. Change up your perspective.
- Do not feel pressured to write a certain way. Write the way you want to.
- Writing and editing are different processes. Write first, edit later.
- If you write something you don’t like, don’t erase it or bin it. Keep it. You can return to it at a later date with fresh eyes.
- Have favourite authors? Look up who are their favourite authors/influences/favourite books.
- Create a playlist/mood board/art/reference for your work. It helps to remind yourself of the mood, characters, themes.
- Know when to step away. Do not tire yourself out.
- In the early stages, don’t look for feedback. This can kill the idea.
- Have an intention in mind. Why do you want to write this story/poem/play?